Protecting Your Legal Options After an Accident
The actions you take immediately following a car accident can greatly impact the strength of your potential personal injury case. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to protect your legal rights and benefit yourself in settlement negotiations or at trial.
At the Barron Law Corporation, we have represented victims of car accidents, motorcycle accidents and all other types of auto accidents since 1991. We aggressively pursue full and fair compensation for injuries caused by the negligence of other drivers. We understand how to deal with insurance companies. Our founding attorney, Deborah Barron, is a former insurance defense lawyer, giving our firm insight into how insurance companies handle claims.
If you were in a motor vehicle accident, we are ready to help. Schedule a free initial consultation with a San Francisco car accident injury lawyer by calling (916) 486-1712 or toll free 800-529-5908. You can also contact us online.
Some Steps to Take After an Accident
1. Call the police or California Highway Patrol: Once law enforcement arrives, cooperate with their requests.
2. Do not admit fault or apologize: In California, any statement of fault, including an apology, may limit your ability to obtain compensation from your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company.
3. Do not say you aren’t hurt: The adrenaline and stress of the accident may make it feel as though you have no injuries, but later, when you calm down, you may experience significant pain and other signs of injury.
4. Exchange information: Whenever possible, get the contact and insurance information from the other drivers involved in the accident. Talk to witnesses, if there are any, and get their contact information as well.
5. Take pictures: If possible, take pictures of the scene, including all the vehicles, the intersection or road and any road signs. Cell phone cameras can be very useful for this.
6. Inform your insurance company and talk to an attorney: Review your insurance coverage and notify your insurance company of the accident. Then, speak to a lawyer. Many times, your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company will make an early settlement offer. You should be cautious about accepting such offers, and you should consult with an attorney about the proper steps to take in dealing with these companies.
Contact a Northern California Personal Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
We charge no attorney’s fee unless we recover compensation for you. To talk with an experienced Northern California personal injury lawyer about your auto accident, schedule a free initial consultation. Call (916) 486-1712 or toll free 800-529-5908, or contact us online. We have offices in Sacramento and San Francisco.